Join Me on Facebook

 

Friday, September 6, 2013

Grandma Savage's Spaghetti Sauce

I have had ample tomatoes this year, and so yesterday I canned a batch of my Grandma's spaghetti sauce.  It's not only delicious, it's good for you--full of lovely anti-oxidants and vitamins.   And no preservatives or other junk they add to canned sauces!  Plus, if you grow organically in your garden, as I do, double win!

I used my Food Processor for this for the first time. At first I was not happy with the way the peppers and onions were ground up so fine--I'm used to running it through a hand-cranked grinder--but after it was all cooked and I realized how smooth the sauce is, I am now hooked!



Grandma Savage's Spaghetti Sauce
 1/4 Bushel ( a Peck) Tomatoes  M/L
8 Small Onions (or 5 Large)
6 Large Green Peppers 
4 Hot Peppers (I always omit this, as we don't like spicy)
3 TBS sugar M/L (I use 1/4 cup as we like sweet sauce)
2 Cloves Garlic
4 TSP salt 
4 Small Cans Tomato Paste
3/4 Cup Vegetable Oil

Prepare your tomatoes by filling a large pot with water and bringing it to a boil.  Drop 4 or 5 tomatoes at a time into the boiling water, wait one minute, and scoop them out into a bowl.  Repeat until all of the tomatoes have been dipped.  This makes the skins slip off easily. Remove skins, stems, etc.  Place in large cook pot.

Grind up the peppers, onions, and garlic, and place in pot with the tomatoes.  Add sugar and salt.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook until thick. This is going to take a while--and it can burn onto your pot bottom.  I set my timer for 5 minutes, and when it goes off, I go stir.  

As it is cooking, take all of your vegetable peels, etc, and add them to your compost bin. Grandma didn't do this, but I do since composting is a great way to enrich your garden soil!

Once the mixture is thickened, add the oil and the tomato paste.  You will really have to stir that paste in, as it is so thick it wants to stay a big lump.  Now the sauce will be really thick, so stir frequently until it is heated through. 

Process in a Hot Water Bath--30 minutes for pints and 45 minutes for quarts.

This is going to be so tasty for dinner some frozen night this winter!


1 comment: